Today my food and travel show ‘ Sutralaam Suvaikkalaam‘ turns 1. It has truly been a humbling experience for me and I am ever grateful for that. My family has been a great pillar of support in letting me follow my dream. Also, a huge shout out to the folks at News 7 Tamil channel for giving me this wonderful opportunity and creative space, and letting me host the show.
Here are some memories, special moments and learnings from my food travels last year that have stood out for me.
- Travelling to some of the most remote villages in Tamilnadu for food by road is probably the most beautiful way to discover India.
- We don’t have to travel abroad to see the most scenic locations, it’s just that accessing beauty in India is hard due to infrastructure challenges. But when you do, the feeling is unmatched!
- Meeting some fabulous home cooks, the underrated master chefs of our country who are not aware of their great talent.
- Documenting heirloom recipes native to different regions/towns/families /communities
- Talking about food passionately in front of the camera.
- Learning and understanding how people from different communities/ religions peacefully co-exist in villages
- watching shop owners build one on one relationships leading to a loyal customer base, something corporates would struggle to understand and replicate.
- Meeting entrepreneurs who do not have B school degrees but razor sharp business acumen
- Cooking in the most beautiful and quaint locations surrounded by nature untouched
- Warm and hospitable people who opened out their doors to teach me their family recipes, fed me and appreciated my singing
- Making some amazing friends; and great memories that will last a lifetime
- Racking my brains trying to write for our food and travel blog – Puliyogare Travels
- Following my passion and heart, safe in the belief that the wife will support me no matter what.
- Learning to milk a cow for the first time ever, and feeling bad about extracting from the poor animal!
Here’s to many more years of food travel, music and making new friends!