Puli Pachadi uses vegetables like Vazhathandu (Plantain Stem), Brinjal, Pumpkin (Kashi Bhopla | Manjal Pooshani), Ladies Finger (Okra | Vendaikai)
The highlight is the flavour of mustard and green chillies along with coconut and its Tangy, Sweet & Spicy taste.
- Banana Stem – 1 (Medium size)
- Tamarind – 1 medium lemon size
- Jaggery – 1.5 tbsp
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Green chillies – 2 – 3 nos.
- Curry leaves – 8 nos. (4 nos. for masala and 4 nos. for tempering)
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp (for masala grinding)
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp for tempering.
- Oil for tempering – 1.5 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Rice grain – 1/2 tsp
- Boil tamarind in 1 cup water till it becomes tender. Extract water thrice by adding fresh water. it should be approx 3 cups of tamarind extract.
- Soak 1/2 tsp rice grain in water or you can use a tbsp of rice flour dissolved in water without lumps.
- Put finely chopped plantain stem & tamarind extract in a vessel.
- Add Turmeric Powder, Salt, Jaggery and boil till the stem becomes tender and cooked.
- In a tempering pan, dry roast the fenugreek seeds (methi seeds) until it starts spluttering.
- Finely grind to a paste : Grated coconut, soaked rice grain, (or the rice flour) Mustard seeds, Green chillies, curry leaves 4 nos., roasted fenugreek seeds by adding little water.
- Add this paste to the cooked plantain stem, bring to boil. When foam forms on top, switch off the gas.
- Heat oil for tempering, add mustard seeds. After the seed splutters, add 4 nos. of curry leaves and add it to the prepared gravy.
- Yummy gravy / curry is ready to be served as an accompaniment to molakootal rice / curd rice / Dosai / chapathi
Recipe contributed by Mira Murali:
She is a blogger and Youtuber and lives in Thane (Maharashtra). A full time home maker having many hobbies and she is interested in cooking, crochet, paintings and art.
The information or data made available on Puliyogaretravels.com website are provided “AS IS” without warranties of any kind, Puliyogaretravels.com specially disclaims any representations and warranties including without limitation, the implied warranties on fitness for a particular purpose.
Puliyogaretravels.com makes no warranty, representation or guarantee as to content, sequence, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, truthfulness and positioning of the information or the sources that the information may be relied upon for any reason.Under no circumstances, Puliyogaretravels.com shall be liable for loss or damages whatsoever whether is contract, tort or otherwise from the use of, or reliance on the information or from the use of Internet generally.