It is often said that Mexican flavours are very similar to Indian. Pico de gallo or Salsa fresca is a signature Mexican fresh salad made using tomato, onion, cilantro, jalapeños , salt and lime juice. The salad is normally scooped onto a tortilla chip and is a favourite cocktail snack. My recipe is a twist on the famous Mexican salad. I’ve used pickle oil (from avakkai or mango pickle) freshly squeezed lime juice and nalla karam podi / powder for the dressing and tossed the veggies in this beautiful mixture that screams Andhra!
- Onions – 2 finely chopped
- Tomatoes – 2 diced small
- Capsicum – ½ finely diced
- Raw mango – ½ diced small
- Roasted peanuts – 2 tbsp
- Lime/ Lemon – 1 Big
- Pickle oil preferably from avakkai pickle or any other pickle
- Nallakaram powder – 2 tsp
- Mix the vegetables all together in a salad bowl
- Make a dressing with fresh lime juice, nalla karam powder and pickle oil
- Pour dressing over the vegetables and top with roasted peanuts
- Serve chilled as a side or over a roasted pappadum
Nallakaram powder is a condiment using curry leaves, tamarind, garlic red chillies and is normally mixed with rice along with a dollop of ghee (clarified butter).
For more salad recipes, off beat travel info and food trails in India, follow us at Puliyogare Travels