Mixed lentils (Red kidney beans, lobia and black chick peas) soaked and boiled – 2 cups
Carrots chopped – 1 cup
Onions chopped – 1/2 cup
Basil leaves – 3-4
Kitchen king powder – 1 tsp
Honey – 1 tsp Lemon juice – from 1 medium lemon
Corn grits / dalia/ corn meal – 4 tbsp Salt – to taste
Oil for shallow frying:
Olive oil – 5 tbsp
For layering the sandwich:
Celery pesto – 2 tsp
Whole wheat bread – 2 slices
Tomatoes – 1 small (cut in rounds)
1. Add contents mentioned under ‘ingredients’ into a blender and grind coarsely (coarser than a falafel mixture)
2. Make small balls and pat between your palms to make burger style patties.
3. Coat the patties with corn grits/ dalia/ corn meal to give you the extra crunch and wholesome texture when you bite.
4. Add oil to the frying pan and shallow fry till golden brown.
5. Coat both sides of whole wheat bread with celery pesto and tomato slices.
6. Place the burgers between both slices and bite into this beauty, guilt free.
Note: In case your patties fall apart while shallow frying, you could add some chick pea (besan) flour to the mixture. This recipe is completely vegan and you can add some slices of fresh tofu in the sandwich. For the non-vegans you could add some mozzarella cheese too.