Ingredients: For spice paste:
- Long pepper root – 4 sticks
- Long pepper fruit – 6 nos
- Red chilies – 2 nos
- Black pepper – ¼ tsp
- Asafoetida – ½ tsp
- Toor dhal – 1 tbsp
- Toor dhal – ¼ cup (boiled with turmeric)
- Tamarind (size of lemon) – diluted in 1 lt water
- Ghee – 2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Pressure cook or boil toor dhal along with turmeric. Set aside.
- Extract tamarind juice in 1 lt water and bring to a boil along with turmeric & salt.
- In a separate wok, heat ghee and add all items mentioned under spice paste and slow cook till aromatic. Set aside to cool.
- Once cool, grind to an almost fine paste.
- To the boiling tamarind water, add the cooked lentils and wait for it to boil.
- Once it boils, add the ground paste and let it boil.
- In a separate wok, heat ghee and temper with mustard seeds & curry leaves.
- Pour over rasam.
- Serve hot with rice and lentil chutney.
Get our recipes on WhatsApp. Send your full name to +91-9789971199. You will be added.
Here is the recipe video. More rasam recipes here