- Toor dhal / Pigeon pea lentils – 100 gms
- Turmeric – ½ tsp
- Tomatoes (chopped) – 1 no
- Ginger – thumb size (chopped)
- Rasam powder – 1 tsp
- Lemon juice – from 1 or 2 lemons
- Whole black pepper powder – ½ tsp
- Green chillies (slit) – 3
- Coriander leaves – 2 tsp
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Pressure cook toor dhal along with turmeric. Once pressure releases, mash well and pour dhal/lentil through a fine sieve. Strain.
- Dilute this lentil in 500 ml of water.
- To this lentil water, add chopped tomatoes, slit green chillies, chopped ginger, rasam powder, whole black pepper powder and salt.
- Switch on stove and bring this to a boil. Do not stir until the rasam begins to boil.
- Add half of the coriander leaves and bring to a boil.
- Add lemon juice and reduce flame to simmer.
- In a separate wok, heat ghee and add mustard seeds, asafoetida and pour this tempering over the rasam.
- Garnish with more coriander leaves and serve hot.
- Variation to this can be made using Pineapple.
- In place of tomatoes, add chopped pineapple pieces.
- In place of lemon juice, add pineapple juice and a tsp of sugar.
Watch this recipe video here and subscribe to our YouTube channel and stay updated with all heirloom recipes.