Kadhi up north, more kuzhambu in TamilNadu, majjiga pulusu in Andhra- It is amazing how this recipe gets adapted across different regions with seasonally, locally available ingredients. Here is a mango kadhi sent to us by a reader and friend.
- Baby mangoes 9-10
- Ginger 1″ piece
Jaggery – 2 tsp
Thai chillies -2
Sour yogurt – 1.5 -2 cups (If not sour add amchur powder 1 tsp )
Water 3 cups
Besan 2 tbsp
Hing- a pinch
Curry leaves – 8-10 leaves
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Cumin seeds -1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tsp
Chilli powder 1 tsp
Ghee 1 tbsp
- Slit mangoes on either of flat sides.
- Grind chillies, ginger, jaggery to fine paste.
- Add this with a cup of water to mangoes in a pressure cooker.
- Add a pinch of salt, asafoetida, turmeric powder and cook to one whistle (or else can cook in open pot till mangoes are soft)
- Meanwhile whisk Besan, yogurt and 2 cups of water, pinch of salt.
- My yogurt wasn’t sour so added tsp of amchur (mango powder).
- Cook for few minutes, add the cooked mangoes (and the water that it was cooked in).
- Cook on low heat till kadhi thickens and raw flavor goes away.
- Heat ghee in tadka kadai, add mustard, cumin, fenugreek, curry leaves and chilli powder.
- Pour over kadhi.
There are plenty of heirloom recipes like this on our YouTube channel. Subscribe to our channel and stay tuned.
Try this recipe with a subtle coconut milk pulao. Here is the recipe video.
The information or data made available on Puliyogaretravels.com website are provided “AS IS” without warranties of any kind, Puliyogaretravels.com specially disclaims any representations and warranties including without limitation, the implied warranties on fitness for a particular purpose.
Puliyogaretravels.com makes no warranty, representation or guarantee as to content, sequence, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, truthfulness and positioning of the information or the sources that the information may be relied upon for any reason.Under no circumstances, Puliyogaretravels.com shall be liable for loss or damages whatsoever whether is contract, tort or otherwise from the use of, or reliance on the information or from the use of Internet generally.