- 5 to 7 gooseberries
- Tamarind – med tomato sized
- Salt – rock salt
- Turmeric powder
- Jaggery size of a small gooseberry
- Sesame oil – 2 tbsp
For gojju powder
Dry roast the following:
- Coriander seeds 2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds 1 tsp
- Red chillies 5 to 8 no
- Urad dal 1 tsp
- Channa dal 1/2 tsp
- Dry coconut 2 tsp ( optional)
- Black sesame 1/4 tsp
- Pressure cook the whole gooseberries with little turmeric for 1 whistle. Do not remove the seeds.
- Heat sesame oil and temper with mustard, methi seeds and asafoetida
- Add the cooked whole gooseberries and sauté.
- Add tamarind water, salt and boil till raw smell fades.
- In the mean time, dry roast the ingredients mentioned and grind to a powder
- Add this powder to the gojju that is boiling.
- The powder can be mixed in little hot water to avoid lumps.
- Add jaggery, fresh curry leaves and serve hot.
Note: The quantity of methi seeds are totally as one wants, because we have added methi in the gojju powder also.