- Ripe tamarind flesh (all seeds and veins discarded) 1 lemon size
- Jaggery Powder – 3 heaped tsp or more to taste
- 1/2 red chilli
- A small pinch asafoetida / hing
- In a mortar- pestle or mixer jar start by crushing the chilli.
- Add the tamarind flesh and crush/ pulse till slightly smooth.
- Add the jaggery and hing and pulse till shiny, sticky and smooth.
- Make small balls and insert a toothpick to make a pop or wrap the balls in butter paper to store.
Recipe contributed by: Krithika Vengadesan a practising Chartered Accountant in Chennai. Her first cooking venture was at 9 years of age and where she made pepper salt rice! She takes pride in Indian cuisine and patronises local produce and cooking methods. She tries and cooks everyday despite erratic crazy schedules and even improvise on baby food for her daughter.