- Orange rind – from 4 oranges (scrape the white fibre with a spoon and cut into pieces)
- Ginger – 2tbsp
- Green chillies – 4-6 slit
- Curry leaves – 6-8
- Tamarind extract – 1cup (from a medium size of tamarind)
- Mustard seeds – 2tsp
- Asafoetida – 1tsp
- Red Chillies – 2 broken
- Chilli powder – 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 2tsp
- Jaggery – 1tbsp
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Heat oil in a wok and temper with mustard seeds. Once it splutters, add green chillies, ginger, red chillies, asafoetida and saute.
- Add the chopped orange rind, salt. Cover and cook.
- Add tamarind extract, chilli powder, turmeric powder and cook until the rind is soft. Finish by adding jaggery. Mix well and store it in a glass jar and refrigerate it.
Recipe contributed by Ms. Jaishree Shankar.
She is an ex-banker from Bombay, she has now been pursuing music and second cooking. She leads a team of 10 ladies and has travelled extensively to perform.
Her social media Facebook and Instagram. Candyflossj
For unique, heirloom recipes that have a story to tell, check out this series Ammavum Naanum and be rest assured to go back in time.