· Rice flour – 200 gms or 1 cup
· Jaggery powdered – 400 gms or 2 cups
· First press coconut milk – 1.5 cups
· Second & third press coconut milk – 2 cups
· Powdered cardamom – ½ tsp
· Poppy seeds (optional) – 1 tsp
· Rice – 2 tsp
1. Soak the rice and poppy seeds in milk for an hour and grind to a fine paste.
2. In a wok, heat the second and third press of coconut milk.
3. Once hot, add the powdered jaggery and melt.
4. In a separate bowl, incorporate warm water and rice flour and make a dough
5. Make small balls of this rice dough. Set aside.
6. When the coconut milk and jaggery mixture starts boiling, add the rice balls and allow to boil.
7. You will notice the rice balls start to float on top when it is fully cooked.
8. Now add the cardamom powder, rice and poppy seed paste and mix well.
9. Ensure there are no lumps.
10. Finish with the first press of coconut milk and keep it on the stove till it boils.
11. Switch off immediately once it starts boiling.
12. Serve hot or cold.
· The rice balls can be steamed and then added into the coconut and jaggery mixture too. You can place the small rice balls in idly plates and steam them.
· Poppy seeds are optional in the recipe.