* Toor dhal – ¼ cup (boiled and mashed)
* Coconut, jaggery stuffing (Poornam) – 2 tbsp
* Tamarind – 1 small gooseberry size
* Water- 500 ml
* Ghee – 2 tsp
* Coriander seeds – 1.5 tsp
* Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
* Fenugreek seeds – ¼ tsp
* Channa dhal – 1 tsp
* Asafoetida – ½ tsp
* Whole black pepper – 10 nos
* Red chillies -2 nos
1. In a wok, heat ghee and fry the asafoetida.
2. Add coriander seeds and fry till aromatic. Then add the whole black pepper and fry.
3. Add cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, channa dhal and roast all till aromatic.
4. Set aside to cool and grind to a coarse powder.
5. In another vessel, add mashed and cooked toor dhal, salt, the ball of tamarind and bring to a boil.
6. Once it boils, add the rasam powder and wait till flavours infuse.
7. Add the coconut jaggery stuffing (poornam) and ensure it dissolves well.
8. In a separate wok, heat ghee and temper using mustard seeds and curry leaves and pour over rasam.
9. Serve hot with rice and dollops of ghee.
Watch this recipe video here and subscribe to our YouTube channel | join our WhatsApp broadcast and stay updated with all heirloom recipes. Watch this recipe video here.