- White pumpkin – 500 gms (peeled and cut in cubes)
- Yoghurt – 250 ml
Grind to a paste:
- Fresh coconut – 4 tbsp
- Green chillies – 3 nos
- Coconut oil / regular oil – 2 tsp
- Carom seeds or ajwain – 1/5 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- In a wok, boil white pumpkin along with salt and a tbsp of curd. Cover and cook till translucent.
- Grind ingredients mentioned under ‘grind to a paste’ to a fine paste
- Once the pumpkin is cooked, add the paste and mix well.
- Once the raw smell fades, add the yoghurt and mix well. Check for salt.
- In a separate wok, heat coconut oil and temper with ingredients mentioned under tempering and pour over the kootu.
- Serve hot with rice/ sambar saadam / bisi bele bath & adais.
- Tender banana stem or fresh greens can be used instead of white pumpkin. Same process can be followed.
- If you do not like the flavour of carom / ajwain – temper with mustard seeds.
Watch this recipe video below and subscribe to our YouTube channel and stay updated with all heirloom recipes.