Snake gourd – 250 gms (cut in crescents)
Fresh coconut – 2 tbsp
Rice flour – 3 tbsp
Besan flour – 3 tbsp
Red chilly powder – 1 tsp
Asafoetida – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Green chilly chopped – 1 no
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Coconut oil – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
· Mix rice, besan flours, red chilly,asafoetida, turmeric powders, green chillies, curry leaves and coconut roughly.
· Add the cut snake gourd pieces into the dry mix and coat well.
· Sprinkle more water if needed to ensure the vegetables are well coated.
· Take some in your hand and roll them in between your fist into an oval shape. It should hold shape. If not you may need to add more flour.
· Place these oval fistfuls in a steamer/ idly plate and cook till done.
· To check if they are done, poke a toothpick in the centre of the oval ball. If nothing sticks, then it is cooked.
· Remove from steam.
· Heat coconut in a wok and temper with mustard seeds and curry leaves. Place these fistfuls over the tempering and gently mix to ensure they do not break.
· Serve hot with rice as an accompaniment or as a snack.