Puli Pachadi uses vegetables like Vazhathandu (Plantain Stem), Brinjal, Pumpkin (Kashi Bhopla | Manjal Pooshani), Ladies Finger (Okra | Vendaikai)
The highlight is the flavour of mustard and green chillies along with coconut and its Tangy, Sweet & Spicy taste.
- Banana Stem – 1 (Medium size)
- Tamarind – 1 medium lemon size
- Jaggery – 1.5 tbsp
- Grated coconut – 1 cup
- Green chillies – 2 – 3 nos.
- Curry leaves – 8 nos. (4 nos. for masala and 4 nos. for tempering)
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp (for masala grinding)
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp for tempering.
- Oil for tempering – 1.5 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Rice grain – 1/2 tsp
- Boil tamarind in 1 cup water till it becomes tender. Extract water thrice by adding fresh water. it should be approx 3 cups of tamarind extract.
- Soak 1/2 tsp rice grain in water or you can use a tbsp of rice flour dissolved in water without lumps.
- Put finely chopped plantain stem & tamarind extract in a vessel.
- Add Turmeric Powder, Salt, Jaggery and boil till the stem becomes tender and cooked.
- In a tempering pan, dry roast the fenugreek seeds (methi seeds) until it starts spluttering.
- Finely grind to a paste : Grated coconut, soaked rice grain, (or the rice flour) Mustard seeds, Green chillies, curry leaves 4 nos., roasted fenugreek seeds by adding little water.
- Add this paste to the cooked plantain stem, bring to boil. When foam forms on top, switch off the gas.
- Heat oil for tempering, add mustard seeds. After the seed splutters, add 4 nos. of curry leaves and add it to the prepared gravy.
- Yummy gravy / curry is ready to be served as an accompaniment to molakootal rice / curd rice / Dosai / chapathi
There are plenty of heirloom recipes like this on our YouTube channel. Subscribe to our channel and stay tuned.
Here is a Ven Pongal recipe that can pair with this Puli Pachadi:
Recipe contributed by Mira Murali:
She is a blogger and Youtuber and lives in Thane (Maharashtra). A full time home maker having many hobbies and she is interested in cooking, crochet, paintings and art.