77 year old Mrs.Mani shares this age old recipe. What’s beautiful is that she passed down her handwritten recipe note.
- 1 cup rice rava as used in “rice upma”
- Tamarind 1 small lemon size
- Sesame oil 2 tablespoons
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
- salt to taste
- Mustard – 1/2 tsp
- Chana dal – 1 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Peanuts – 1 tbsp
- Hing – 1/2 tsp
- Red chillies – 4 spilt
- Curry leaves
- Make tamarind water with 3 1/2 cups water
- Heat pressure pan, add sesame oil and temper with all the above ingredients mentioned for tempering
- Add tamarind water, salt, tamarind per, peanut size jaggery ( optional)
- Add the rice rava, mix well.
- cook for 3 whistles, simmer in low flame, keep for 3 to 5 mins
- serve hot with fried papad, vadam or chips
There are plenty of heirloom recipes like this on our YouTube channel. Subscribe to our channel and stay tuned.
Here is a Kathrikkai Gosthu recipe video that can pair with this Puli Pongal
Recipe contributed by
Ms. Bala Mani is a fabulous cook at age 77, sent us these hand written notes through her daughter Ms. Raji Hari specially for this seasonal recipe section. Her daughter Ms. Raji Hari’s social media is Raji’s Soul Focus – Instagram rajissoulfocus