- Raw jackfruit (medium size) – One 6 inch piece
- Tamarind – size of a large lemon
- Sea salt – 3-4 tbsp (to taste)
- Dried red chillies – 100 gm (to taste)
- Mustard seeds – 50 gm (dry grind)
- Fenugreek seeds – 2 tsp
- Sesame oil – 1 cup
- Natural vinegar – 1 cup
- Cut the jackfruit into small pieces after removing the outer rind and the inner core.
- Make sure to rub some oil on your hands and knife while doing this, so that the sticky milk from the jackfruit doesn’t stick to your hands.
- Extract juice from the tamarind and add the jackfruit pieces to the tamarind water
- Add sufficient water to cover the jackfruit. Add a couple of tbsp of salt and cook the jackfruit in water taking care not to overcook it.
- On a clean towel, spread the drained jackfruit pieces and dry.
- Since raw jackfruit doesn’t have an inherent tartness, this process will add salt and tartness.
- Dry roast the red chillies and fenugreek seeds. When cool, dry grind it to a powder. Set aside.
- Heat sesame oil in a pot and cool it down. Now add the dry ground raw mustard seed powder and remaining salt.
- Once the jackfruit has dried, add other remaining spices and mix well. Add more salt, if required.
- Mix in the vinegar and transfer to a glass jar, cover with a muslin cloth and leave it in the sun for five days.
- Make sure to stir the pickles each day to ensure the spices are mixed well.
- After five days, the pickle should be ready for consumption.
This has a shelf life of 12 months as long you ensure that no moisture remains in the pickle or no wet spoons are used to take out the pickle.
Recipe contributed by:
Vasundhra Rajagopal, a Carnatic musician is the promoter of ‘A pinch of turmeric’ Apart from blogging about healthy, traditional and contemporary vegetarian recipes and lifestyle choices, she also prepares 100% chemical free, handmade, organic products that are easily integrated into our daily lives. All the profits from sale of these products are donated to Sri Arunodayam Charitable Trust, Kolathur, Chennai, a home for abandoned children with special needs.
Vasundhra can be reached at:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or whatsapp 9841261420