- 250gm or 1 handful raw tamarind.
- 5 – 10 green chilies (adjust as per your spice level)
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- Salt as per your taste
Ingredients – tempering:
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 4 tbsp oil
- Wash and pat dry the raw tamarind.
- Break them into pieces and mash the raw tamarind using a pestle.
- If the seeds are hard, remove them.
- Take a small frying pan and dry roast the fenugreek seeds. Set aside to cool
- Heat oil and add mustard and cumin seeds. When the mustard starts spluttering, switch off the stove, add turmeric powder and asafoetida. Set aside to cool
- Grind green chilies and the roasted fenugreek seeds without adding too much water.
- To this paste, add in the mashed tamarind pieces and grind it until fine.
- Once done add salt and grind again without adding any water.
- Mix the tempering with the ground raw tamarind and store in a clean glass jar.