Roasted semiya / vermicelli – 1 cup
Yoghurt – 2 cups
Rava – ½ cup
Grated carrots – 2 tbsp
Ginger chopped – 1 tsp
Green chillies – 2 nos
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Urad dhal – 1 tsp
Channa dhal – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
Whole black pepper – ½ tsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
1. In a wok, heat oil and temper with mustard seeds, urad, channa dhals, curry leaves.
2. Once they splutter, add rava and roast a little.
2a. Add the roasted vermicelli and sauté well.
3. Add the ginger, green chillies and carrots and mix well.
4. Add salt, mix well and turn off stove. Set aside to cool.
5. Once cool, add yoghurt and mix well. The quantity indicated may be more or less depending on your ingredient.
6. Add cumin seeds and black pepper to this mixture and mix well.
7. Grease idly moulds with oil or ghee and scoop the batter into them.
8. Steam them in a pressure cooker for roughly 10-15 mins
9. Poke a toothpick or fork in the centre of the idly to check if they are done.
10. Serve hot with chutney or our Andhra Paruppu podi/ gunpowder.
· If you are not using roasted semiya / vermicelli, roast them to a golden brown.
Watch this recipe video here and subscribe to our YouTube channel | Join our WhatsApp broadcast and stay updated with all heirloom recipes. Watch this recipe video here.