- Basmati rice – 2 cups (soaked in water for 1 hour)
- Coconut milk – 1 cup (first press)
- Cardamom – 5 nos
- Cinnamon – 2”
- Bay leaves – 2 nos
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Red chilly powder – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Onion – 1 (sliced)
- Tomatoes – 3 nos (pureed)
- Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp (chopped)
- Mint leaves – 2 tbsp (chopped)
- Green chillies – 3 nos (slit)
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Ghee – 2 tsp
- In a wok, heat oil and ghee. When hot add whole spices – cardamom, cinnamon and bay leaves
- Add the onions and sauté until soft.
- Add slit green chillies and cook.
- When onions have changed colour, add the tomato puree and sauté well until raw smell fades away.
- Add the powders – turmeric, red chilly and coriander. Fold in.
- Cover and cook till oil separates.
- Garnish with mint and coriander leaves and mix well.
- In a cooker or rice cooker, add the tomato mixture and rice.
- Add coconut milk and water. Mix well. Check for salt
- It must be salty for the rice to absorb salt.
- Pressure cook for 2-3 whistles or in a rice cooker till done.
- Serve hot with raitha of your choice.
Here is the recipe video. Join our WhatsApp Broadcast and get all our recipes instantly.