Ingredients: Rasam Powder:
* Red chillies – 1 cup (preferable Bydagi chillies)
* Coriander seeds – 3 tbsp
* Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
* Channa dhal – 1 tbsp
* Whole black pepper – 1 tbsp
* Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp
* Curry leaves – 4 sprigs
* Tamarind- Gooseberry size
* Water – 500 ml
* Toor dhal – ½ cup or 100 gms
* Tomatoes – 2 nos
* Turmeric – 1 tsp
* Jaggery – 1 tbsp
* Coconut oil – 2 tsp
* Asafoetida – 1 tsp
* Mustard – 1 tsp
* Coriander leaves – 3 tbsp (garnish)
1. Pressure cook toor dhal along with tomatoes, turmeric till nice and soft. (3-4 whistles)
2. In a wok, heat coconut oil and roast ingredients mentioned under ‘Rasam powder’
3. Cool this down and grind to a fine powder.
4. In another pan, boil tamarind water along with salt.
5. Once it boils, add jaggery and mix well.
6. Once the raw smell of the tamarind fades away, add the cooked toor dhal tomatoes mixture.
7. Boil well. Add more water if too thick.
8. Check for salt.
9. Now add the Rasam powder and mix well. Allow to boil.
10. In a separate wok, heat coconut oil and temper with mustard seeds and asafoetida and pour over the rasam.
11. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
Watch this recipe video here and subscribe to our YouTube channel | join our WhatsApp broadcast and stay updated with all heirloom recipes.